Position Summary/Career Interest
This position serves all internal and external customers by providing high quality care with courtesy and compassion; demonstrates accountability for own actions and decisions; develops policies, procedures, and standards; complies with Corporate Responsibility Program; assumes responsibility for risk and safety issues associated with position; holds others accountable for following Hospital Safety Policies and Procedures; participates in performance improvement activities; assists Manager with managing costs of supplies, equipment, and staff; takes responsibility for own learning and development needs; participates as a member of a team to achieve organizational and department goals; brings ideas/concerns to Manager; actively participates in department decision-making.
* this position will provide full time environmental, health and safety support to the operations and will ensure that all practices are in compliance with local, state and federal regulatory requirements.
* Support the development and coordination of training programs.
* Practice safe working techniques and re-enforce the safety policies, guidelines, and procedures as set out by the University of Kansas Hospital.
* Ensure that contractor personnel working on the property are in compliance with the University of Kansas Hospital policies and safety requirements.
* Ensure inspections by regulatory agencies are coordinated and deficiencies are minimized and corrected.
* Assist with maintaining the Joint Commissions Statement of Conditions and related corrective action items. Ensures proper compliance for the Joint Commission assigned responsibilities.
* Maintain working relationships with Regulatory Agencies and chair or co-chair assigned Environment of Care committee(s).
* Travel to the University of Kansas Hospital sites as required, to perform any additional Environment of Care duties as assigned.
* Maintain filing systems regarding occupant safety.
* Assist in coordinating regulatory programs including compliance processes.
* Responsible for conducting incident investigation as assigned by the Environmental, Health and Safety Manger.
* Responsible for the coordination of safety activities such as the distribution and collection of physical tours paperwork and will participate in Environment of Care physical tours. Conduct periodic construction site inspections to assess for safe work practices.
* Coordinate hazardous material activities such as collection of hazardous waste for disposal. Conduct inspections at hazardous waste generation sites to ensue compliance with EPA regulations. Conduct periodic inspections of hazardous materials to assess for safe use and storage. Assist with the development of proper logs, inventories, documentation, and manifests as required.
* Assists with formulating and implementing operational procedures to ensure workplace safety. Consults with other Hospital Departments and advises them on all safety matters. Develops reports related to Hospital safety program.
* Investigates and resolves safety events that occur including resolution and root cause analysis and development of corrective actions and engineering controls to prevent reoccurrence.
* Monitors Safety Program operations to ensure compliance with all regulatory and accrediting agencies, all laws, codes, standards and regulations. Initiates any corrective action and intervenes as appropriate when conditions are present that pose an immediate threat to life or health or pose a threat of danger/damage to equipment or buildings.
* Assist with ILSM inspections. Participate in fire drills. Conduct periodic ILSM compliance inspections. Assist Director and Manager with hands-on fire extinguisher classes.
* Assist with emergency preparedness drills and incidents. Provide support on after action items for corrective action.
* Develops and provides appropriate training to Hospital management and staff regarding safety response, hazardous materials handling, and spill cleanup.
* Coordinate data collection activities and provide the Environment of Care staff with charts and graphs that will be utilized to interpret safety related data for compliance and performance improvement activities.
* Assists Hospital departments with safety policies, procedures, and practices to comply with regulatory agencies.
* Partner to integrate with departments in establishing an overall system and structure for safety, reporting and response.
* Develops work schedules, employee schedules and supervision of others in the completion of assigned duties and tasks.
* Evaluates Vendor services, makes recommendations to Manager that will improve outcomes, compliance or increase operating efficiencies.
* Bachelor's Degree: Chemistry, Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Environmental, Emergency Preparedness or related field
* Minimum of one (1) years' related experience in Environmental, Health and Safety role
* Master's Degree: Preferred in Chemistry, Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Environmental, Emergency Preparedness or related field=
* Certificates or Licenses: Safety related certification (Ex: ASP, CSP, and REM)
Associated topics: climate, environmental, gauge, hazard, healthy, physician, scba, treatment, usda, waste