Leonardo DRS is a leading supplier of integrated products, services and support to military forces, intelligence agencies and prime contractors worldwide. Focused on defense technology, we develop, manufacture and support a broad range of systems for mission critical and military sustainment requirements, as well as homeland security.
Headquartered in Arlington, VA, the Company is a wholly owned subsidiary of Leonardo which employs more than 70,000 people worldwide. We offer a competitive compensation package and a business culture which rewards performance. For additional information on DRS, please visit our website at www.drs.com.
Naval Power Systems (NPS)
Leonardo DRS NPS is a leading supplier of Navy, Power, Control, Propulsion and HVAC equipment. NPS has facilities in Milwaukee, WI; Danbury, CT; Fitchburg, MA; and High Ridge, MO. Products include ship electric propulsion equipment, power electronics equipment, high-performance networks, shipboard control equipment and control panels, tactical displays and specialty reactor plant instrumentation and control equipment. The Division designs, qualifies and manufactures products that help people every day on the ground, sea and in the air.
Job Location Fitchburg, MA
Fitchburg Massachusetts is a community of ~41,000 people is located 10 miles from New Hampshire and 50 miles from Boston. Despite being one of the largest cities in the county, Fitchburg retains its small town flavor. Fitchburg boasts excellent access via highway or MBTA commuter train to all points. One can choose to live in any type of area; be it urban, suburban, or rural; all within a short commute to Fitchburg.
DRS NPS has an immediate need for a Mechanical Engineer on 2nd Shift supporting the manufacturing of large rotating equipment in support of a US Navy program. This role will involve direct support of electric machine manufacturing and test efforts both in Fitchburg, MA and Philadelphia, PA. This individual is the key interface between design engineering and manufacturing, ensuring products are built per the design intent and issues are addressed and resolved correctly and quickly.
The ideal candidate is an individual who can be flexible with their schedule, possesses strong mechanical engineering skills, and is committed to the success of a program. Direct experience with large (1MW+) marine power generation or propulsion equipment, motor assembly and manufacturing processes, and previous US military program experience are considered to be distinct advantages.
Duties and Responsibilities
* Address questions, concerns, and issues that arise during electric machine manufacture and test
* Interface between design engineering and manufacturing
* Confidently and competently represent DRS in front of customers, including the US Navy
* Contribute directly to project success through individual technical contributions
* Clearly communicating and presenting technical and programmatic information to technical and non-technical individuals
* Collaboration with other departments, DRS locations, and suppliers to solve problems and develop the best overall solutions
* Bachelor of Science degree from a 4 year accredited college or university in Mechanical, Electrical or Manufacturing Engineering
* Experience in an engineering role
* Able to support 2nd shift work activities and periods of extended travel
* US citizen
* Experience with execution of programs for the US military
* Familiarity with industrial and military design specifications
* Experience in the manufacture of electric machines, electric motor/drive systems, electro-mechanical systems, or other rotating equipment
* Specific experience with large (1MW+) permanent magnet electric machines
Equal Opportunity Employer - M/F/Disabled/Vet #NPS
Associated topics: aerodynamic, ansys, cae, fluid, machine, mechanical, powertrain, propulsion, thermal, turbomachinery